Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New HDTV channels.


RTN?, originally uploaded by Matt Westervelt.

If you don't have cable, but are itching for TV, it looks like there are a couple new HDTV channels you can pick up with your rabbit ears on your new digital set.

13-2 has started broadcasting a 24 hour weather channel, complete with news ticker and live (ish) meteorologists (or maybe they just read the weather, who knows). It is more entertaining than the 5-2 24 hour weather, and features their super duper 5 pole doppler view.

7-2 has started stopped its part-time airport, part-time space needle webcam, and started pushing out RTN, a retro-television channel full of Mission Impossible and Perry Mason reruns. The Info button still says it's the airport, but here's one hibernator that hopes this change sticks.

I'm not sure if it is just the cold weather, or Canadaland is gearing up for the 2009 digital switch, but I just started picking up channel 12-1 too. I've heard the Daily Show is aired on this one, but I haven't been able to catch it yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If not, I hope they'll at least broadcast curling so I can start yelling SWEEP! at the television again.

The streets are all icy and the potholes are all frozen, here's one more excuse to stay inside.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

7-2 is permanent RTN now. :-) They did pre-empt it to air additional NCAA coverage, which to me is actually a pretty cool idea.

12 is KVOS from Bellingham (kind of get the analog on rabbit ears). It is geared toward viewers in B.C. but unfortunately has just been sold and is likely to swap to Spanish.

The day we can get CBUT (2) - CBC - over the air - is the day I stop paying for cable. Definite Saturday curling and hockey, great news coverage 7 days a week.