Monday, February 18, 2008

qfc north


abandoned qfc, originally uploaded by Matt Westervelt.

When QFC first moved into the Broadway Market, I was of a mixed mind. On one hand, the neighborhood got a much better grocery store than the previous QFC and the Safeway combined. On the other, we lost a Fred Meyer and all the interesting bits of the Broadway Market, both of which I spent a lot of time in. We do most of our shopping there, and although discussion has popped up about the need for more and more niche grocers, I have to say, they've got most of what I need (although I'm not big on some of their specials).

It's been about 3 years since they abandoned their old building, the Bartells is long gone, and Taco Bell closed at the beginning of this year. I still see lights on in the apartments on the North West side of the block, so I wonder just how long it's going to take to start construction on their mega project. If the vacant lot across the street that was the Harvard House is any indicator, I think we're in for a wait.

No comments: